Yes of course we should “impugn” upon them. You do not have the “religious right” to perform surgery on someone without their consent, especially a detrimental surgery that carries a risk of death.
Your medical books are outdated and/or outright wrong. It wasn’t until the Victorian anti-sex era that anyone disagreed that circumcision made a dramatic effect on sexual ability and functioning(1). Back then, you’ll look in medical books and hear from mohels that oh yes foreskin meant a lot to sexual appreciation and that’s why they got rid of it.
Most medical authorities disagree with circumcision, in fact many national medical organizations advocate for its ban or actively participated in its banning (particularly in Europe)(2). Most “reasons” to circumcise are bourne from a lacking sexual education that many North American doctors receive (you wouldn’t believe how many recommend circumcision simply because they don’t know what to do with a foreskin - people have sued over this) including the idea the foreskin is “useless”(3) and from purposely manipulated studies done into it that do not have objectively repeated results (the results from the trials in Africa have yet to be reproduced)(4).
I can give you a plethora of studies that say something quite a bit different(5), but the news apparently doesn’t make it to America because circumcision is money (especially since infant foreskins make it big in the cosmetics industry(11)) and Americans are fucking damned determined to circumcise. Many doctors in the US will PUSH for circumcision, even if you say no, and some will even circumcise older children regardless of their own feelings(6). Do also note that many circumcision devices are well in violation of the max amount of complications and failures but have yet to been recalled or updated(7). Politicians are constantly lobbied by pro-circumcision interests and blatantly ignore medical testimonies right before them, in fact they even go so far as to suggest circumcision will reduce STD rates because of the evidence that it reduces sexual pleasure “thus boys will less likely be promiscuous” (literal fucking thing that happened this year)(8). The AAP recently advocated for the most common form of female circumcision (nicking the clitoris) to avoid explaining why male circumcision was legal(9). Sound suspicious or fucking what?
Even if it was just a “slightly decreased sensation” and “rare complication”, people do not have the right to make that decision for others. Your hearing would only be minutely affected if we removed your outer ears but that doesn’t mean it’s okay, does it? You could still see without your eyelids, you’d just lose your sensitivity, but does that sound all right to you? And these things are legitimate comparisons to the human prepuce because they serve the same functions - protecting and creating a mucous membrane (eyelids) and enhancement of functioning (both)(10). The pinky toe, you can still walk, let’s get rid of it. One finger less won’t make a big difference. Maybe you don’t need that much labia. Maybe you don’t need that big of a nose. Why not get rid of appendixes right away? No breast buds means no breast cancer, too. Or do you not understand that it’s not right to chop people up willy nilly based on possible future benefits (that are NOT guaranteed, mind you) and the possibility it “won’t affect them much”?
Most of what you’re saying is the same stuff said for female circumcision. Religious rights! It only affects a little! (Hint: the WHO acknowledges most female circumcisions are less extensive than the average male circumcision! And even women who face infibulation can experience arousal and orgasm!)(12) Complications are rare when done by an actual doctor! They don’t remember it! Health benefits! Cleanliness! (Hey, there’s even wonderful studies into female circumcision saying the same things about “benefits”!)(13) Well I’m circumcised and I’m fine! (YEAH most people circumcising and advocating for the circumcision of girls? CIRCUMCISED WOMEN.)(14)
Switch female with male and suddenly these excuses make sense? I say no, they don’t. And consider too that we are horrified by any study done into female circumcision, but we won’t stop to keep finding new things that male circumcision apparently cures(15). (Male circumcision has been prescribed as a treatment more than any other medical procedure(16), and each time it gets shot down and each time they find something new it MUST treat, and this isn’t suspicious?)
PS: If there were health benefits? Still shouldn’t be legal, because guess what? You still need a condom and vaccines to prevent STDs, not a painful erection! (You need that “extra” skin, believe it or not!) Circumcision does not affect this requirement! Which makes it unnecessary and invasive overtreatment, a blatant violation of the Hippocratic Oath (see: the part about promising not to use overtreatment and invasive methods if less invasive methods are available and especially if proven better at it, and they are).
I am curious, would you refuse to date a circumsized man or adopt a child who had been circumsized?
No and no. It’s not his fault that he’s circumcised so that wouldn’t be fair. Hey, the guy who took my virginity was loosely cut.
But way to go in assuming just because I’m against an unauthorized amputation means I’m some prejudiced bitch. That’s a fallacy, friend. You’re attacking my character in an attempt to undermine my argument. That’s ad hominem, character assassination, and Red Herring.
- How Did the Antidote Become the Anecdote? | Cognitive Dissonance and the Truth About Circumcision | Men Do Complain
- A letter from hundreds of German doctors and lawyers, asking the Chancellor to protect boys from non-consensual circumcision | Circumcision / Foreskin: Did You Know? | Laci Green: Cut or Uncut? | Circumcision and Emotional Development in Boys | Penn & Teller’s Bullshit! Circumcision | Circumcision and Erectile Dysfunction | Male Infant Circumcision: A Complete Rip-Off | Acquisition of Erectile Dysfunction from Circumcision | Psychology Today’s Series on Circumcision | Male Circumcision and Sexual Function in Men and Women | Study Links Infant Circumcision to Personality Disorder Traits
- Anatomy and Functions of the Foreskin | Labiaplasty and Pastrami Sandwiches | Explanation of the Intact Penis | "Boy, I Guess American Foreskins Are Different…" | Latumway Argues Against Infant Circumcision | What Smegma Really Is | Myths of Circumcision | Why Continue to Harm Boys from Ignorance of Male Anatomy?
- What to Say When Somebody Tells You That Circumcision Prevents HIV | Don’t Get Stuck with HIV | Flawed African Studies into Male Circumcision and HIV Sexual Transmission | Purposeful Misinterpretation of Data Shows Circumcision “Prevents” Cancer | Why the STD Prevention Studies Are Flawed | "60%" is a Purposely Misleading Number | Male Circumcision Originally Said to Cause Spread of AIDS | Zimbabwe’s Circumcision Drive a Waste of Money | Not a Surgical Vaccine | Circumcision Does Not Prevent HPV, Previous Results Purposely Inflated | Langerin Cells Found to be Natural Barriers Against HIV
- Circumcision and Sexual Dysfunction | Fine-Touch Pressure Thresholds in the Adult Penis | Effects of Male Circumcision on Female Arousal and Orgasm |
- Yup | Memories of My Infant Circumcision | Pretty Women Used to Entrap Intact Men to Force Circumcision | Parents Assume Too Much | "This Has to Be One of the Most Unsettling Things I’ve Ever Fucking Seen"
- David Reimer | Infant Circumcision Causes At Least 100 Deaths Per Year in the US | Neonatal Death Rates from Circumcision Higher than Auto Accidents and Suffocation (and yet there’s no warnings given!) | Circumcision Complications | Baby’s Skull Fractured in Bristol Circumcision | 11 Babies Had Circumcision Complications in Same Hospital in a Single Year | If This Circumstraint Could Talk | Queen’s Park Baby Bled to Death Two Days After Circumcision | Circumcision Insanity | Circumcision Side Affects | What’s Considered Routine for Babies is Considered Abusive for Dogs | KZN Rolls Out Dodgy Circumcision Klamp Despite Questions | Hospital Acquired Infections and Circumcision | Shamed About My Complications | I Wouldn’t Do It to My Son If You Paid Me PT 2 | 35 Good Reasons Not to Circumcise | 50 Circumcision Tragedies | Is the Pain Truly Brief?
- Lawmakers Clueless About Circumcision Research | Circumcision Bill Dies in Colorado House | Senator Aguilar Circumvents Circumcision Debate
- The AAP - Morally Corrupt or Culturally Blind?
- Ear Removal Comparison | Eyelid vs The Foreskin
- Babies’ Foreskins Used to Make Cosmetics
- MGM & FGM Comparisons | Comparing Female and Male Circumcision | They’ll Have You Believe It’s Different By Using Synonyms with Different Connotations | Confessions of a Circumcised Woman
- America’s Forgotten History of Female Circumcision
- I’m Circumcised and I’m Fine | British Girls Undergo Horrors of Genital Mutilation Despite Tough Laws
- Female Circumcision and Health Benefits | Male vs Female Circumcision, Which One is Worse?
- Same Old Story
- Foreskin Restoration and Intactivist Network
- How Could I Inflict the Pain of Circumcision on My Son?
- I Shouldn’t Be So Surprised
- Parental Rights and What You Can Choose
- Famous Men Who Resent(ed) Being Circumcised
- 9 Arguments Against Infant Circumcision
- Is This What Religious Freedom Looks Like?
- One-Line Answers to Circumcision
- Is Circumcision “Just a Little Snip”?
- Sexual Development of Infant Males
- Ten Reasons I Said NO to Circumcision
- Strong and Non-Conflicting Evidence Against Circumcision
- Feminism and Circumcision
- The Book of Deut. Excludes Circumcision
- I Support Foreskin Restoration
- List of Intactivist Sites, Blogs, Forums, Networks, Organizations, etc
- Anti-Circumcision Not Antisemitic
- WHO African Circumcision Campaign Absurdity
- Frenulum: Male G-Spot Successfully Ablated | Closeup of Intact Penis with Sensitive Parts Obvious vs Cut Penis
- A History of Foreskin Restoration
- Ten Reasons NOT to Circumcise Your Baby Boy!
- Male Genital Mutilation (Circumcision) A Feminist Study of a Muted Gender Issue
- "Hi My Name is Dame and I Send Petty Shit to AAP People When I’m Angry"
- We Keep Warning, is Anybody Listening?
- Why Circumcision is a Feminist Issue
- "He Wishes He Was Cut!" Yeah, and?
- 50 Reasons to Leave it Alone
- Circumcision Decision Maker
- I Would Kill Myself If I Were Circumcised
- Parents and Denial